MPHA MADE INCREMENTAL STRIDES TO IMPROVE PUBLIC HEALTH IN MISSISSIPPI IN THE AREAS OF ADVOCACY, EDUCATION AND LEADERSHIP
WON’T YOU JOIN US IN ADVANCING A CULTURE OF HEALTH IN MISSISSIPPI
ADVOCACY – MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
- Developed annual Legislative Agenda through our Policy Committee and communicated to members. Hired Policy Student Intern to monitor health legislation at Capitol and communicated through Legislative Updates and Action Alerts. Produced an Advocacy Toolkit.
- Produced letters to the editor and journal interview (MSMA) on public health funding and developed a state funding comparison document for all state legislators.
- Succeeded in deterring a $9 million budget cut to the Mississippi State Department of Health.
- Partnered with multiple organizations to prevent passage of immunization legislation aimed at weakening Mississippi’s immunization laws.
EDUCATION – LEARNING TO GROW!
- Conducted the premier annual public health training event-MPHA Public Health Conference with over 400 attendees, over 15 concurrent workshops on current public health issues and 35 exhibitors and sponsors to promote development of the public health workforce.
- Partnered with various health organizations to host public health events during National Public Health Week. Runner up in APHA Share Your Starting Line contest for best use of media.
- Co-sponsored the Mississippi Health Summit from 2011 through 2015.
- Sponsored several Young Professional events for engagement and education and sponsored a Public Health Retiree Symposium
- Contracted with various organizations to plan and coordinate numerous training events
LEADERSHIP – KEEPING IT GOING!
- Developed and enhanced strategic alliances with the Mississippi Department of Health, Mississippi Public Health Institute, Mississippi Rural Health Association, the Center for Mississippi Health Policy, MDE Office of Healthy Schools and other healthcare and education organizations.
- Implemented a rebranding and communications effort for member development and education. Rolled out new, robust website with additional resources, online e-commerce, new logo/ brand and a social media presence. Produced over 15 professional outstanding testimonial videos on public health.
- Integral role in the public health accreditation process including development of the State Health Improvement Plan and bringing leaders together for critical support.
Based on our ongoing efforts, MPHA was recognized nationally as the 2014 Outstanding Affiliate of the Year by the American Public Health Association.